Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Hardening off time

It's that time of the year where the seedlings meet the soil. A few brave souls have already put their plants out! As for me, I'm going to be planting this weekend.

Seedlings started indoors live a very sheltered life for the first few weeks. There's no wind to contend with, minimal UVs, and temperatures are a consistent 70 degrees. In order to adjust to outdoor growing conditions, tender seedlings need to gradually adapt over  a period of days. Skip this all-important step and it's welcome to Scorchville, population your plants.
Feeling the burn

Many "experts" say you need to harden off tomatoes over 1-2 weeks, gradually building the time each day until they can stay out all day. One guy wrote that he does 2-4-6-plant (measured in hours per day). It would be a catchier phrase if "plant" rhymed with "8". I've been doing something similar to that for the past few years, and it seems to get the job done. I usually try to plant the plants in the afternoon also, so they have the cool of the evening to recover from transplanting shock.

What do you do?

3 comments:

  1. Been a weird few weeks to "harden off". I've had mine out in the various elements (mostly cool, cloudy, breezy) when it felt right. Other than that, I've had then in a really hot morning window that I open for them to get a breeze and hopefully a good dose of sun. A couple of mine have fairly stout stems but leaves still a little thin and silky for my liking...not sure I'll get them there by this weekend with this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I don't have a cold frame (yet!) but I am also trying the water starvation method of hardening off on a sample of my plants. That's supposed to toughen then up although still not quite prepare them for the June sun that could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try the water starvation method every time I forget to water my plants for a few days. I'd like to say that it's intentional.

    ReplyDelete