Tuesday, August 25, 2015

When to pick your giant

People have been asking me if I picked my tomato too early. I honestly don't know. On one hand, raccoons have been tearing up my garden, so I'm relieved to not have to worry about my tomato any longer. On the other hand, I think I might have been able to eke out a couple more ounces if I waited.

Read the following excerpt from Dale Thurber's blog at https://delectationoftomatoes.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/predicting-and-estimating-tomato-weights/

Many growers have noted a slight shrinkage of tomatoes as they ripen, so they recommend picking “at first blush”.  I’ve also measured this shrinkage several times, but have found that it is compensated for, at least, by higher fruit density.  So I suggest picking tomatoes when they appear to be at least 25% ripe.  In my experience, measurable shrinkage rarely occurs until tomatoes are at least 80% ripe.
So if you want your prize tomato to be as heavy as possible, harvest it when its approximately 75% ripe in the early morning after a heavy rain or watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment